Sentenced with a straw after threatening an actress for 12 years

American actress Eva LaRue lived a real nightmare for 12 years, when a man sent her many particularly violent threatening letters.

After being arrested in 2019, the accused, James David Rogers, was sentenced last Thursday to 40 months in prison. He had previously pleaded guilty to threatening and harassing charges.

The story began in March 2007, when the actress received the first of dozens of letters in which the man who introduced himself as “Freddie Krueger” promised that he would rape and kill her.

“There is no place on the planet where I cannot find you,” he wrote in one of his missives.

The man had also written that he was going to do the same to Eva LaRue’s young daughter, who was only five years old when the first letters were sent. When the child turned 13, the individual even started sending mail aimed directly at the teenager.

“I’m the man who stalked (your mother) for the past seven years. Now I have turned my gaze to you,” reads a letter sent in 2015.

“You like looking so pretty in your photos on Google. Are you ready to be the mother of my child? “, writes the man in another letter.

He also started calling the girl’s school, claiming that he was her father and that he was coming to pick her up.

Eva LaRue was terrified to the point where she sold her Southern California home to move with her family to Italy for several months.

The actress finally returned to California where she bought a new house, but using a business name, to protect identity. Yet letters began to be delivered to her new address, despite the precautions she had taken.

For years, the FBI collected traces of DNA found on the letters, never being able to link them to anyone.

In 2019, investigators decided to use genetic genealogy to try to uncover the identity of the individual.

It was through this technique that they managed to identify James David Roger, and then began to monitor him. One day, the man went to eat in a restaurant. The FBI saw him eat his meal and throw his trash in a garbage container.

Officers then recovered the suspect’s table scraps; they extracted his DNA from the straw of his soft drink and compared it to that of the letters. Since there was a DNA match, the police were able to arrest the man at his residence in November 2019.

Add Comment