Marketing

Portugal still has 820,000 consumers connected to the network

Written by admin

As we recently revealed, Altice, NOS and Vodafone intend to disable the 3G network and even the 2G network, since there is already good 4G and even 5G network coverage. However, such an action is not yet planned.

ANACOM has already reacted and mentioned that customers cannot be penalized.

The end of 2G and 3G networks could soon come...

3G mobile technology aims to support a wide range of services, ranging from support for multimedia applications (video, audio, data) to access to the various services available on the Internet (WWW, e-mail, e-commerce, etc.). ). Altice, NOS and Vodafone admit to having disabled the 3G network and the 2G network, but there is still no timetable.

Following the announcement of the operators' intention to interrupt the 3G network, and possibly the 2G, ANACOM warns that this cannot affect the quality of mobile services for approximately 820,000 3G users.

Anacom will necessarily follow this file and the decisions that the operators will adopt in this regard"

official source guaranteed by the regulator to Dinheiro Vivo

Last year, the mobile service penetration rate in Portugal reached 125.7 per 100 inhabitants, with more than nine million people using mobile networks (3G, 4G or 5G) to access the Internet. “Internet users using mobile broadband via 4G totaled 8.3 million in 2021, representing approximately 91% of service users. The remaining 9% are users of 3G networks. [cerca de 820 mil utilizadores]“, reveals the same source.

As for data traffic, "it is estimated that 68% is linked to the 4G network and the rest to the 3G network". As for 5G, there is still no official regulatory data, as the network has only been available for a short time.

Still according to ANACOM...

There is not exactly an obligation to make available a specific technology, be it 2G, 3G or otherwise. However, operators with rights to use frequencies for the provision of electronic communications services are subject to several obligations, namely network coverage and development, and reinforcement of the voice signal, and must ensure compliance with the use of the technologies that will be most suitable for this purpose.

It is expected that ANACOM will issue regulatory recommendations as Altice, NOS and Vodafone begin laying the groundwork for pre-4G and 5G network disruption.

Recall that the 1G network appeared in 1980 and became known to start the world of wireless telecommunications.

Second generation (2G) systems appeared around 1990, in order to overcome the limitations of first generation (1G) mobile communication systems.

2.5G mobile technology served as a transition between second-generation (2G) and third-generation (3G) systems.

3G mobile technology was intended to support a wide range of services, ranging from support for multimedia applications (video, audio, data) to access to the various services available on the Internet (WWW, e-mail, e-commerce, etc.). .). 4G is the generation of mobile communications largely derived from 3G systems.

5G will enable speeds 10 times faster than 4G using the same amount of data. As we said, 5G will not be an Internet for the end user… but also. 5G makes it possible to respond to critical and highly resilient emergency services, such as industrial applications (Industry 4.0), autonomous vehicles, remote surgeries or emergency services.

About the author

admin

Leave a Comment